Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest  

Go Back   Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest > Narmir > General Discussions

Old 06-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Upcoming changes....

Was thinking about it, and this is what I remember about the pre-Dominion Def-Con(was called def-con cause that was the name of the original server that hosted the game, the game was originaly named Forgotten World(s)). For one, there was no limits on anything, could have as many troops, pop, gold, mana, land(could search for land endlessly), ect. as you wanted. No food, there wasn't near as many buildings back then, one being farms, never had to worry about starving. Back then there wasn't any leveling up or evolving, however troop exp played a bigger role back then, a handful of fighters at 1k exp could take on hundreds of troops at 100 exp, plus troops gained ALOT more exp per battle, looting, ect. then they have in the past few years. There use to be a market, but it was kind of abused to feed multi's or alliance members. Path says 8 races, but I remember 7 originally, the 3 elves, humans, dwarves, orcs, and ogres. Thats all I can remember now, will add more if i can think of it.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Tetris Champion

If you look at the old, old websites, those are at roughly the end of the def-con era or just after it, I think.

Namely, Grumpy's help site. Not sure if vampires and werewolves went in on def-con, or if they were later.

The original races of the game were:

Humans
Dwarves
Orcs
High Elves
Wood Elves
Dark Elves

Yep, just those 6. Ogres were added pretty quickly, and for a long while there were only 7 races in the game. Once Pathie took it over, he added dire wolves, and kenders not long after that.

All study maxes for every race were set at 1000.

In the original code, every single fighter fought in battles. Like... if you had 20,000 fighters, it would process them each individually in battle. That was one of the first fixes Pathie did, if I'm not mistaken. It was unnecessary for each person to fight... and it caused the server to die horribly when you fought... even more if you had a buttload of spells on you. With enough spells on you, it was possible to crash the server if you tried to attack, or even sometimes take a turn. I'm assuming those are things Pathie aren't going to leave in (which is good).

There was the research loot bug... where you could max your tech quickly and loot every bit of someone's tech with one loot... I assume that's gone. As well as the hidden WM crap. Marketplace also had a bug (which is why Pathie originally took the marketplace out... he was angered that no one reported it).

Every race got 2 turns per hour, which led to massive amounts of multis... because we all got a little bored!

Land max was 100k. If you fought someone and won when you already had 100k, they would lose the land, but you wouldn't gain it.

Oh, defensive alliances were funny... don't know what's in the game currently, but back then you could set your "pledge" to send units to allies in need from 0 to 10%. It would actually effect the score of each player as well. If a person at 10k score was allied to a person at 100m score, it's possible if you attacked that 10k guy he could shoot up to something like 1m score or more from allied troops. It was a great way to drain the higher guys of troops by coordinating attacks on their allies if they used pledges.

Thieves and Ninjas were stopped by rangers I think. Rangers did NOT fight. I'm not 100% sure on that... because at one point, I think almost every troops type has been used to stop thieves and ninjas. Back then, there was no such thing as Enforcers. They didn't exist.

There was only one tab for buildings. I think you can see what it looked like by the 3rd helpsite on the old narmir homepage (which you can find grumpy's on as well, at narmir.narmir.com/index.html)

Spellbook was maxed at 20k. Summon Demons was the last spell you could get.

There were some bugs with spells, too (I think sh7 was the first to find/use them? It might have only been after dires were put in.)

It was a time of bugs and insanity. Only getting two turns per hour made your turns pretty valuable. They maxed at 100, as well. At one point, HS convinced someone to up them to 4, and then they got adjusted on a by race basis... but I can't remember when those things happened.

Hm... think that's about all I can remember for now. I'm not sure how far back pathie actually plans to take the game, and there were some updates before the game went to acs-isp (pathie's company, I believe) due to def-con being unstable and unable to support the game. I think Green joined a week or two before me, so maybe Dave or I can talk to Matt and see if he remembers anything if you want.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Tetris Champion

I'm not sure about the unlimited everything... when I first played, I sucked (I was like 12... give me a break).

The earliest caps I can remember were from maybe the 4th or 5th round of the game when I finally got to be on top(ish).

100k land.
20k spellbook.
2m troops (each).
10m pop (I think? I know it had a max... and I think you had to use castles to get to it.)
100 turns.
1000 for all studies but spellbook.
3% per turn on wms, 5% on weapons and armor. Or vice versa. I think... I never used em back then.

1k thieves was all you needed to get the max tech you could loot. Or maybe 10k. When stealing items, (wms, weapons, armor) I think it was a direct ratio... if you had 500k thieves, you could steal 500k wms, etc. More thieves/ninjas increased your chance to succeed, of course.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM

I think all the caps came when path took over, like I said very first version had none. And now that you mention turns, the very first version only gave you 1 turn per hour, and attacking cost 2 turns! And ya def-con had a million bugs and things you could exploit, so i'm thinking its going to be a version that path cleaned up and not dans.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
There were some bugs with spells, too (I think sh7 was the first to find/use them? It might have only been after dires were put in.)
That was all long after dires were put in, and in narmir its never possible to know when something is a bug and when a feature
As far as i know it was possible before dires were put in too, simply a matter of deviding by less than 1 to create a bigger number.
Tho the dires with their impressive magic ability made it easier and stronger ofcourse.

It's kinda funny tho, when you hear of old servers most people are kinda excited about the idea, but then when you start to think back of earlier stuff and realize how much got fixed and changed to make the game more fun, playing with 2 turns an hour and with a ton of bugs and stuff to exploit just doesnt seem as much fun, tho using that spellcombo 1 more time would be funny
Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM

I remember 1 turn an hour i think, but not needing 2 turns to attack. I just sat in chat back then.
Honestly if i played, i wouldnt look forward to the 2 turns per hour part and the score manipulation you could do.

My fav era was probably right before and after the races got their own turns per hour, giving more options. Before all the uniques and odd buildings and special numbers went in. When Dwarves not only did something, they were pretty much the dominant species. Load up on some WM's, and go marching up the rankings. Log off. Log on, find your engineers assasinated and your WMs useless, then do it again.

Get rid of the silly new stuff, and fix the regular stuff, and we have a game.

PS.
Whatever version goes in, better have my Kenders, or someone gets hurt....all im sayin..

[size=medium]Totus vestri animus es belong volo..[/size]
Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Tetris Champion

I thought faeries were your favorite race?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah I guess I missed the 1 turn myself.but loved the old version of the game.. This game is way to fast paced now and turns means nothing...Back then turns were gold and it made the game more stragetic. I started playin like 2 weeks before path took the game over and that may be why I dont remember much about that part. But I do remember there were no caps. Darkknight played back then and turned me onto the game. The only thing I would miss is my Vikings, would hate to see them go if he cleans up races. But the game does need a spark back in it. I love the game but it has just lost its spark over the years.

Me steals ya land...
Me steals ya gold...
Before ya know it...
Me steals ya soul...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Less complexity, less turns, better gameplay for those of us who dont live in front of the pc.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 PM

Well I will be putting up all the version I have, which will probably be about 3 different time frames of the game with the oldest being the 2 turn an hour deal.

I'll try to just keep bug fixes per version and not actual changes.

Im building a monster machine for handling all this so even if one does get math bugged it should be able to muddle thru it.

Still hoping to get inside that 30 day window. As soon as I have a more definite date I'll post more.

Also there will be a new forum for all this based on vbulletin which is a bunch more powerful than the one thats running now.

I think there will be something for everyone.