Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest  

Go Back   Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest > Narmir > General Discussions

Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Suggested change / addition

Could the location list on the military screen be enlongated so that lots of locs with scores can be seen at once? Would be nice to have a scroll bar to "page down" too. Additionally, would be great if the scores were not centered, but all alligned to the right. Its very hard to tell how many digits their are sometimes.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Suggested change / addition

Problem: cant get target list to show enough.

Solution: get older applet.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:34 AM

Still working on a fix for this. Just letting you know.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM

From what I understand, the current weapons system adds one point to a fighter?s offense if he has a weapon available to him; same with rangers. Not sure how armor is involved other than giving plus one to defense maybe.

Here is a fairly simple system that might be easy to implement:

First compare the attacker?s weapons technology to the defender?s armor technology. If the attacker has a higher % in weapons than the defender has in armor, then the attacker gets +2 added to his or her fighters and rangers offense. The +2 points being equivalent to 2 points added to rangers and fighters on the ?level up? tab. Then, do the same for defender and attacker; if the defender?s weapons have better tech than the attacker, then s/he gets +2 to the defending rangers and fighters.

For example, say we desired the first level of material to be cloth for armor and wood for weapons. Suppose both kingdoms are at the same level. Then if kingdom A has 200% armor, and kingdom B has 188% weapons, then kingdom B gets no bonus. Additionally, if kingdom A has 300% weapons and B has 175% armor, then A gets a bonus of +2.

Although having different types of weapons is very cool in concept, it gets very complicated in actuality. Instead of having different types of weapons and armor, we should have different types of material that weapons and armor are made out of. Any upgrade in material trumps a lower grade of material even if the lower grade has a better technology % studied.

For example, steel weapons would trump wooden armor even if the wooden armor was 5000% and the steel weapons were a mere 100%.

Additionally, each upgrade in material adds two more to the bonus for the rangers and fighters involved.

For example, suppose weapons material went along these lines:
Wood +2
Stone + 4
Copper +6
Bronze +8
Steel + 10
Etc.

And suppose that armor material followed this:
Cloth (can cancel up to +2)
Leather (can cancel up to +4 but will auto cancel +2)
Copper (can cancel up to +6 but will auto cancel +4)
Bronze (can cancel up to +8 but will auto cancel +6)
Steel (can cancel up to +10 but will auto cancel +8)
Etc.

Wood weapons would give a kingdom +2 to rangers and fighters if and only if those wooden weapons were better than the defender?s cloth armor in technology percentage. If the defender had leather (one level higher in armor material then wood in weapon material) or anything greater in armor material, then the attacking rangers and fighters would get no bonus no matter how high their weapons technology happened to be in wooden weapons. The attacker would need better material in his weapons to even have a chance to get a bonus.

Stone weapons would give a bonus of +4 if the defender is still at the first level of armor and that armor was lower tech than the stone. If the cloth had a higher percent than the stone weapon, it could still cancel 2 of the bonus points, but not all 4. Only armor of equal level can cancel all bonus points given for weapons.

Clear as mud?

Now, what to do about lack of enough weapons and armor. I suggest that rangers and fighters do not fight if there aren?t enough weapons for them to fight. Much like war machines that don?t have engineers. Armor is not required for rangers and fighters to fight, but if they do not have enough to go around then they automatically have no chance to cancel any bonus the attacker would get from weapons.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 PM

ye i kinda get lost after the begining :P jk lol i dunt understand this thing:

And suppose that armor material followed this:
Cloth (can cancel up to +2)
Leather (can cancel up to +4 but will auto cancel +2)
Copper (can cancel up to +6 but will auto cancel +4)
Bronze (can cancel up to +8 but will auto cancel +6)
Steel (can cancel up to +10 but will auto cancel +8)
Etc.
how it get cancelled or w/e or i think i should read it 2 3 times more
Old 09-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Basically, a kingdom's rangers and fighters only get extra bonuses for weapons if the oppossing kingdom doesn't have as good or better armor in technology.

It doesn't matter which kingdom is attacking or defending. Both kingdoms compare weapons vs. armor. If my weapons have a higher % than your armor, my rangers and fighters get +2 per level of material. And, your fighters and rangers get +2 per level of material if your weapons are better than my armor.

Armor of equal level AND % (or higher) cancels all bonus points for opposing weapons. Armor of lower level than opposing weapons can cancel up to two bonus points per level of the armor. Armor basically cancels two times its level in points if it is higher % tech than the opposing weapons. If it is lower % tech than the opposing weapons, then it cancles two times its level minus two points.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:13 PM

lol @ lanilion we should do that :P and i understand now i think
Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 PM

As for things to drop out of the game to make room for w/a to have an effect:

Drop the mail.

Drop the steal maps function since it has never worked.

Drop the archers since defense is strong enough as is; not to mention archers arnt' finished.

Maybe even drop the weapon and armor type research and simply use the kingdom level for diffent w/a material. (w/a tech would need to reset each time a kingdom leveled up).

Get rid of everything on the Trade tab except for gold, food, and locations.

Get rid of the explore unknown function since one always loses in the long run anyway.

Get rid of the communication alliance since you can do the same thing with a defensive alliance anyway.

Wouldn't dream of getting rid of chat of course, but could it have its own applet separate from the game itself?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 AM

Game already favors non-newb players with Levels from time played, i'd hate to see low chars get screwed cause they don't have W/A studied too. You would have to install a points system with W/A. Then you would have to edit Create Weapons/Create Armor.

Maybe you can have a thing at creation of character where you choose out of a list of Weapons and Armor. Then you study those up as your character goes along. Some Weapons would be good against some Armor, and not so good versus others, and other way around.

Or just play rock paper scissors. Get option to build 3 different Weapons and Armors.
If attacking Kingdom A: has spears built.
And defending Kingdom B: has platemail built.
Defending Kingdom B: gets 1 point bonus.

If attacking Kingdom A: has broad swords built.
And defending Kingdom B: has platemail built.
Defending Kingdom A: gets 1 point bonus.

Maybe have, instead of studying W/A exp to make them "stronger", you make them cheaper to build. EG: The more time you study it, the less time and resources it takes to make them.

Nothing too much that will effect the game extra-ordinarily, but enough to put in a twist.

Idea -
One thing Narmir really lacks is longevity. Once you reach a certain point, unless there are some really tough wars going, there becomes a "boredom" issue. With the same characters on top pretty much, until the top ones slack off for a while.
I'm thinking get all Evolves done for all races, then lower the requirements to evolve. Maybe lower the strength of evolves a little bit. That way, instead of sitting on top, you can evolve and have something to do by fighting your way back to the top, with the same characters. Or if the bottom guys are having trouble fighting the top guys, they can evolve and maybe get a bit more strength to fight with and take them out. You don't have to add more troops to the maxes or anything, which could slow the server down. And would probably cut down on multis. (maybe evolve requirements could be when you reach Level 6-7+ SB + 10k total experience?)Eventually add in more then 1 evolve so the game can keep going and going.
Add in something like, evolved characters cannot attack Level 0 or Level 1 chars, so there isn't too much newbie abuse.
A lot of coding though.
As much as i'd like to see it, i want N3D. =P

PS: Dont drop Mail. It could still be used for sending spy reports and msging ppl you have no other way of contacting.
And don't you dare get rid of explore unknown option. =|
That was the best idea in a while for Narmir. Just wasn't finished right.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 PM

[size=medium]I understand we do not want high level kingdoms pummeling newbs all the time, but at the same time we don?t want people leaving because they have nobody to attack any more. One attempt at a solution was giving a minimum score to kingdoms above X number of turns. That wasn?t very good since it basically meant perpetual death to whomever found himself without troops at a high score with no chance to ?run away?. I have proposed in the past, and propose again now, that kingdoms have their minimum population dramatically increased for each level they gain. Additionally, increase minimum researchers, engrs, fighters, rangers, buildings, etc. That would force the high level kingdoms score up, hence keeping him out of newb country, but at the same time not leave him defenseless.[/size]