Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest  

Go Back   Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest > Role Playing > Role Playing

Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Ghosts of Christmas Past - circa 2001

**Just a 'lil trip down memory lane, since I couldn't find it on the old forums... Enjoy, and Merry Christmas all!**

-1-
Drow was dead to begin with, colder than a stone in winter. We join our tale with the sight of a Dwarf named Stieny. More years had past with him laying down his axe, then had past that he could imagine. He had lost the will to fight, in Narmir that is a dangerous thing. Compliancy had filled his dwarven heart. His many days of conquest had gained him a vast kingdom and a beautiful wife. He had young ones bouncing around now and war seemed far away.

He had become a weapon smith making the finest swords and axes in all the dwarven kingdoms and seemed content in that. It was December the 24th Christmas eve, returning home to prepare for a beautiful dinner with kith and kin. His old allies Khan and Naz would be there. Smelling of the fruits of war. The scene made perfect with roast turkey and all the trimmings. He knew well how to be a happy man at this time of year. In fact Stieny was a good a dwarf, as the city had ever known.

Upon returning to his castle for the evening, he heard phantom swords clashing and the sounds of war. He heard men die in some ethereal plane. It seemed far away and of little concern. He reached his door, as he grasped the handle the door ran with blood, it smelled of elf blood thin and sweet, he had spilled it in his more barbarous days.

He heard an ancient enemy moan. The face slipped in and out of his mind in a flash. When he opened his eyes the door was as fresh and clean as ever.

He dismissed it as senility and walked in the house. His wife and children met him at the door. They ate a most tasty meal, one of roasted pork. They retired as they did every Christmas early and excited by the morrow's presents and feast. Leaving Stieny all alone in his castle. He lit a fire and began reading from a book given to him by Malache at his wedding, it was a humorous book named "Interesting Times" he liked the story and it eased his mind to laugh.

Then he heard the clanging again, of far away swords and the cries of battle. He stood and grabbed the reading candle to light the darkness...

Nothing.

He returned to the book, but a few moments later the swords returned. Stieny had had enough the old dwarf stood with candle in hand and walked to the stairwell. He gasped. The ghostly figure of an ancient enemy, one he had fought long ago. Drow. Dressed in warriors refinements and brandishing a evil looking sword, Drow approached him. The ghost's eyes blazed brilliant amber, his white hair streamed down his back. "Stieny, we must speak!"
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Ghosts of Christmas Past - circa 2001

-2-

Stieny stood in mute shock, he must be imagining things, and this was Drow! A misty version but to be sure it was Drow. The gleam in his eye said it all. As Drow took one dread step after another inching closer and closer to Stieny, he felt icy fingers claw his spine as he began to panic. He did not know what to do. He had faced all manner of evil in his day, but never one he knew to be dead.

Drow spoke. "Stieny you have warred for many, many years and now? You lack the fire of life. I have seen what happens to artisans in the next world, and what is the fate of warriors. An enemy of mine who has given me pause in the past should not be damned to make his afterlife a bigger failure than his life became. You must go back to war! You must face the enemies on a field of battle as before. You need to kindle the life's fire in your gullet again."

Stieny looked at the spirit, his mind swirling with this revelation. " I gave up that war Drow, all war in fact, I retired. I'm a family man now. I make fine swords and live an idyllic life. Why would I give that up?"

Drow brandished his sword in a menacing manner. "Trifle not with the afterlife!"

Stieny hissed an angry emotion out from between his clenched teeth. " I want nothing to do with war anymore, it's in my past. I don't want to see the horrors of battle anymore.."

Drow turned the sword and a milky reflection of a blood drenched Stieny is what Stieny saw. The world of that arcane reflection was the past. "I know that is why I will have you visited by three ghosts. The first will arrive when the bell tolls one."

Stieny spoke, "More spirits? I believe I have had my fill of that this day."

Drow laughed. "I have taken mush trouble to prepare this, you will receive them, and you have no choice."

With that Drow faded from the room, Stieny stood in mute awe for another moment before dismissing it entirely. He prepared for bed. Soon he slept the sleep of the just. The bell tolled and a ghastly voice screamed "EXPECT THE FIRT GHOST WHEN THE BELL TOLLS ONE!"
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM

-3-

Stieny sat bolt upright his wife slept soundly in the bed, she had not heard it, and perhaps he had not either. Suddenly eldritch blue fire filled the bedchamber, all at once cascading into a myriad of colors from white blue to the deepest blacked blue. They cascaded up and down the spectrum. Stieny backed up.

A dark shadowy figure stepped into the room through the far wall. Its shape was that of wolf and man, a bestial countenance. It strode forward. A hellish presence spilled over Stieny. He knew this man. It was Hell Spawn, The Dire spawn.

Stieny thought to himself, "wait this isn't right, Hell Spawn isn't dead! He stopped in for a new sword a fortnight ago."

"I am not dead, Stieny this is true, and I am not even here. What you see is what you want to see. I am the personification of past victories and past glory. Take my hand I shall show you the past, prepare thyself."

Hell Spawn stood before Stieny his hand extended to him. Stieny took it and suddenly felt 'pulled' into the ether. They suddenly stood amidst a battlefield, dwarves, orcs, dires, and dark elves clashed. Stieny knew this battle. It was from a long time ago. One he had won. It had been a long campaign and this was but a short section. The battle had been bloody and he and Naz had taken a lot of land that day.

Hell Spawn spoke in a distant and dark voice. "You seem to remember this, yours eyes flicker with recognition. Does your pulse quicken? Do you remember the feel of your axe biting bone and breaking the bodies, spirits and line of your enemies?"

Stieny only nodded, he also remembered the dead, and thousands upon thousands had littered the ground that day. Brave men all, and now gone by his hand. "My resolution is unchanged Spawn. I do not enjoy these wars, any longer. I wish only to let it be the past. Never did I want those men die."

"Its war Stieny. People die. In Narmir what else can they do?"

"I can choose not to be the one to send them. That's why these are past victories. I, now, am happy to make my weapons and go home to my family. I have a nice kingdom. Why else do I need to fight I have everything I need..."

"You will see."

The scene shifted to the Runaways hall, days after the war with Jarl. Stieny stood with Khan and Naz. In the distance, they were talking of a spy.

Stieny knew this was the argument that sent Naz out of the Runaways. "Spirit, this wasn't a victory! This was after our worst defeat! We almost lost Naz as an ally forever!"

"But with that loss Naz went on to form the Warcamp, one that became very popular through out the land. Showing that even in defeat the world goes on. In the pools of dried blood, flowers still grow."

"That's an odd metaphor Spawn."

"True it isn't mine, one from Rommel actually. But my time grows short soon the next sprit will visit."

"I have not changed my mind spirit. This was all for naught. You have cemented my reasons." Stieny spat and turned to face Hell Spawn but he was gone. The battlefield was back in a blink. The dead surrounded Stieny. He walked through them recognizing soldiers that he had lost they looked at him with accusing eyes asking why he had let them die. His eyes almost welled up into tears. A body quivered at his feet, its chest convulsed. It split suddenly a spray of blood and guts showered Stieny his eyes clenched shut, he knew before he opened his eyes.

Jester.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 AM

-4-

A wicked peal of sickly laughter hit Stieny like a wave of filth. Twisted clown. Lord Jester. Stieny had no idea what to think of this as he opened his eyes, Jester sat on the chest of a fallen Dire. He giggled a nasty hissing giggle as Stieny looked at him.

"Hey Jackass! I am here to be the Spirit of Victories present, but I prefer to call myself, The Spirit of Bleeding Wounds."

"You would."

"Aw does the dwarf need a visit from the freak show? A little clown lovin?"

"Just show me what you have to show me. I have no need to speak to you."

"Oh that is too funny. You have no idea. Oh this is too funny. You #OOPS#ing...fucking...Dwarf!"

The scene shifted to a scene on a battlefield. There was many a participant none of which Stieny recognized.

"Why show me this fool? Why point to a battle that means nothing to me."

"Because Stieny you see these armies? Pathetic scrawny armies, I know I could beat them down in a second. In fact I think I will. I will crush them and destroy them and th..."

"What?s the point?!?" Stieny roared interrupting the clown.

"The point to us this is nothing to them its everything, bit of land or a point of pride perhaps. I don't know. But to them it is important. See how they throw themselves into the maw of death even though they are a small and weak army? That's war Stieny that's why we fight. That's why we destroy one another."

"I'd destroy you on principle fool."

"Bah" Jester said dismissing his claim. "You see Stieny they work towards the goals and ambitions they set forth. They drive to be something more than they are. You just quit! You gave up and stepped away from greatness, not real greatness just your greatness not like me. Now I am great."

Stieny stepped away. His fill of Jester had been reached. The scene shifted around him to a great inn, The Narmir Inn, where everyone congregated. Sitting at the bar were the regulars, Queen Bee, Akasha, Naz, First Wizard, Pandora, Happy, and all the rest.

"This is war?"

"The seeds are built here. The roots start to take hold."

"You know that better than anyone." Stieny said with a sneer.

"Yes I do. Not that any of these assholes could beat me I am a twisted clown I rule."

"You sound like a watered down Drow you know."

"Shut up Drow is a ticky tocky bastard."

And with that Jester faded out of the inn, no one took notice of Stieny as he sat at the bar silently. He heard rumblings of a great war that was coming. The ground shook, but no one seemed to notice. The wall suddenly gave way to a mountain of a red dragon, it was veiled in shadow and fire, Stieny knew it immediately it was Pathfinder.

Pathfinder pointed to the west with a great-clawed finger and Stieny resigned to this as any other fate stepped through the wall.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 AM

-5-

Pathfinder wrapped the cusp of his hand behind Stieny and took off Stieny was immediately thrust into the air. He watched as the inn and the world disappeared. The existence he knew seemed far away. Then he stood on a hill ass though he had never moved the massive form of the red dragon landed beside him.

"So what do you have to show me Path?"

The dragon said nothing and just pointed to the distance. The world suddenly formed around him. The armies of Narmir great and small filled a vast valley the war to end all war had begun. Battle lines drawn in the past separated the fighting, he could see the Runaways, the Dominion, the Network, and dozens of others. They fought each other with ferocity and vigor, blood coated the hillsides and bodies were everywhere. A Large amount of death was being dealt here one battle all enemies all friends dieing next to one another. All the population of Narmir.

He saw the figure of Str fighting valiantly against a horde of demons, the gold dragons of Happy's kingdom fought off the dwarves of Khan. Pandora and Akasha were in the middle of a battle to the end. Hell Spawn and Lord Jester were tearing each other apart. The bodies mounted up soon they were lying in an ocean of blood. It was obvious that the armies of Pathfinder were clearing out those who opposed him.

They all stood facing each other the battle lasted for hours. Soon it was a few strong players and their armies, Khan, Naz and Mordsith stood together. They were alone against these forces. The enemies swarmed them, and they started to fall. One by one in sickening procession they were destroyed Naz was first run trough with a dragon's claw. Nest Mordsith fell, eviscerate at the hands of a demon. Finally it was just Khan. Hell Spawn stepped to him and ran him through with a sword. Stieny knew it immediately! It was one of his swords!

He screamed in horror and revulsion! He was the instrument of his brother's death. He had created that vile sword. He had sold it. He had allowed his brother to die.

Khan choked on blood for what seemed like an eternity. Stieny watched in horror he walked to the dieing form. He fell to his knees. Khan looked at him or through him. He struggled and reached for the east "Where are you brother?"

Stieny fell into sobs, he knew that he could not discount the fact that if asked yesterday he would not have come to this battle. He would have said he was a smithy now, not a warrior. Khan died with the bubbling call for his brother on his lips. Stieny stood in mute resolution. And turned to the phantom Pathfinder.

"I could make a difference in this battle? I could change this?"

The dragon said nothing only stared at him. Stieny spoke again. "You would not show me these things if I could not change them. You would not indeed!"

Stieny woke with a start! The morning light of Christmas morning shone through the windows. He quickly dressed and headed for the stairs.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 AM

-6-

Stieny ran down the stairs, the house was alive with more people than he had expected. In fact it seemed that every room had people, his family, Naz, Malache, Khan, Mordsith, everyone seemed to be around. He ran up to Khan and hugged him. Overthrown with reliefe that he was not dead, Khan in turned pushed him away and slapped him. The group roared with laughter. Stieny smiled. It was good to be amongst kith and kin.

They took their day's activities with a newfound relish related to the holiday. Soon it was time for the Christmas feast. After the drinks were poured everyone turned to Stieny for the toast. Stieny stood and cleared his throat.

"Last night I learned a valuable lesson, one that I had forgotten. It was not the riddle of steel or the solution to the Gordian knot. No it was simpler and more confused. It was my will to fight. My need for battle needed to be rekindled." He smiled broadly. "I shall return to the Runaways and begin my conquests again. I need to I have to. Nothing else shall do!"

The group cheered in hearty agreement. He lifted the Crystal battle-axe off the wall.

"TO WAR!" he cried, the sound of returned bloodlust wet on his lips.

The group roared its approval.

**Merry Christmas all!**
*snugz*