Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest  

Go Back   Narmir - Land of Magic and Conquest > Narmir > General Discussions

Old 10-12-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Suggested change / addition

[size=large]Mages... much potential for added flavor. Besides "complicated" additions such as special magical attacks or defenses, mages should predominately add power to spells. Overwhelmingly mages in general fantasy settings cast super spells when they work together. Even mages, more commonly referred to as shaman, from "lesser races" such as orcs are often casting super arcane renderings when they all cast together.

Recently it has come to my attention that mages have been ?weakened? in power; for they did indeed add power to spells in mass numbers. Added experience to mages did relatively nothing. Only mass quantity had the desired effect; quality meant nothing.

If a player was familiar with the correct order to cast spells, the correct mana used in each spell, and the correct duration and obscuring, then mighty spell strength could be achieved. The problem was not how the quantity of power added to spells by mages, it was the manner in which they added that power that was broken.

Before, mages added power independently of mana; as if each mage were acting as a small burst of mana in and of themselves. Instead, mages should magnify the efficiency that mana is used. Enough mages should increase the power unleashed by each point of mana multiple times. For example, if 1000 points of mana were to produce 10 weapons with only one mage, then a million mages should double the number of weapons formed by 1000 mana; 2 million mages would create 30 weapons; etc. Keep in mind that is just an example. The actual number of mages required for each multiple might need to be dramatically more or less. Additionally, mages of higher experience should act like more mages of lesser experience in the same manner that all troops do. That is, 500 mages at 200% exp are as good as 1000 mages at 100%.

From what has been briefly explained to me, mages currently increase power but ONLY if 400k mana is used. To me that isn?t how it should be. Using mages just isn?t worth the trouble if that is how they work. Lots of mages and hence lots of extra score is required for added power to spells. Those extra points in mages makes a kingdom vulnerable to any kind of attack. Therefore 400k mana shouldn?t be a requirement for the added benefit; not to mention it just doesn?t make sense?. Hehe.. Always love that phrase when speaking of fantasy genre... ?doesn?t make sense?? as if any magic made sense ` P
[/size]
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 PM

Jarl did you read that newer book out with Jarl/artemis? QQ

I HOPE You did.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:22 AM

i hope to get it this month. i am on The Two Swords right now, and still have three books in the War of the Spider Queen series to finish.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:37 AM

lol...when do u find time to read ur students papers? :-D
Old 11-02-2005, 07:09 AM

I make them grade their own of course O`)
Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 AM

lol good oonee
Old 11-15-2005, 10:37 AM

ummm, i know i dont usually talk in here but i like jarls idea on different grades of weapons. it would lure more ppl to the game and would make pro players have to almost relearn the game, giving a fair chance to everyone... plus i like the idea of newb protection... but it would probly need a system to turn itself off at a certain time/lvl/score.

Erblicken Sie die allm?chtige Kraft, die Levi ist
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 PM

plus a seperate window for chat would be nice

Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Okay, correct me if i'm wrong, but in a normal situation you would have to figure in the fact that, yes a nice sharp broadsword would easily cut through cloth armor, but that the person in the cloth armor would have a fairly good chance of being able to dodge the attack, as the cloth armor would be pretty light, and a broadsword is fairly heavy. Defense and attack abilities do not just depend on what armor and weapons one has. I can't get into the heads of our almighty creators, but maybe they had this in mind when they allowed fighters and rangers to fight without weapons or armor, and when they allow a character with lower armor rating to dodge a blow from a character with higher weapon rating, and vice versa.

It's just my two cents worth, but try to think about how womething make sense, before you want to correct something that doesn't. Programming is very time consuming, even with a very small program, I can only imagine the time and effort that has been put into something like Narmir. The changes yall are talking about would only serve to actually make the game more difficult to play, and would take tons of time to make. ;-) :toast:
Old 01-09-2006, 12:04 PM

maybe we can put a new thing in study/reseach for dodgeing and stuff... the higher the training the easier it is to dodge...

just a suggestion

eace: lol kool