View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM

I think there are 2 different things, changes /fixes /addons to current mechanics and theres new stuff.

Changes to already implemented ideas:

The level ups were a great idea and i think they were originally designed so that everyone could make their own unique of sorts.
However at the moment this doesnt really work, higher lvls simply means more maxes of everything and more points you spend in what your race is already good at. ( usually points in 2 fighting troops for the combat races , study and magic for the magic races etc. )
There is no real choice, you usally just pick what you want and pump points into those 2 areas at each lvl up.
This means that high lvl characters are simply easier to play than their low level counterparts but besides that theres nothing really unique.

What i suggest is twofold,
1. Give more options to spend points on: Remove the Build and Enforcer Bonus.
Add a bonus to study maxes
a bonus to troop amount maxes
a bonus to storage ( food/gold/mana)

2. Make specialization more expensive. Similar to the way it works in DnD/ NWN and stuff like that. For example:

Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 1 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 1
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 2 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 1
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 3 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 2
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 4 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 2
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 5 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 3
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 6 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 3
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 7 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 4
Bonus Strenght from lvls at: 8 Lvl points cost to increase 1 Strenght 4

So for example if you have a bonus strenght from leveling of 7, it costs you 4 points from lvling up to increase your bonus strenght 1 more.
While you could also spend those 4 points in other areas where it only costs you 1 lvl up point to increase your strenght by 1.

This way theres much more choice and uniqueness to each character.
You could play a Hill Giant and simply put all the points you get from lvling ( 2 *10 ) in your fighters and get +8 strenght fighters, however you will have crappy other troops and crappy studymaxes/troopmaxes. Some might like this more raw power, while others will go for more playability and get a higher study max, or some points in warmachines since the first ones are cheap anyway. Overal I think it gives a lot more unique playing experience.

Added bonus would be that higher lvl characters dont have such a huge lead in strenght over lower level ones, since adding more points becomes more and more expensive.

Ofcourse I dunno if you are able to make it so people can save up level points while they level up, but thats like with all suggestions, we have no idea how easy or difficult it is to make.